EnterpriseDB: The Enterprise Postgres Company Postgres Plus Forums: The PostgreSQL Open Source Database from EnterpriseDB
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 

Portable PostgreSQL  XML

Forum Index » PostgreSQL (formerly Standard Server)
lami_a

Just wondering if there is a portable version of postgresql available like MySQL with XAMPP?

Basically I had to reinstall a new version of windows vista after the verion I had crashed, but I reinstalled it keeping everything else intact (i.e. the installer renamed the original windows folder to windows.old e.t.c...)

After doing this, the postgress installation was still on c:\Postgres of course, and when I run pgAdmin by browsing thru the folder it come up fine. The problem is I cannot get the postgres db started and I'm not sure why. Do I have to reinstall it, or just create a new windows user that will start the proper services.

I'll appreciate any Tips...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20 Dec 2008 12:27:11

ashaar

[Avatar]

Well, you basically need to recreate the user (same username, permissions etc. as in the previous OS) and services that are required to run the DB. So its better, safer and easier just to re-install using the installer. Once the installtion is done, you should be able to point to your old data directory from the previous OS installations. Please make sure that you keep a backup of the old data folder. If you have all the backups of the databases you can simply restore the databases into the freshly installed instance and won't have to repoint the data folder.
[WWW]

Forum Index » PostgreSQL (formerly Standard Server)
Go to: